Friday, August 26, 2011

Too many lemons and too much lemonade

I love when friends come over. I love it even more when they come bearing gifts of vegetables from their garden- it makes me feel like the Barefoot Contessa. My good friends James and Joe brought me an overstuffed bag of their eggplants because quite frankly they are overrun with it. They have a lovely garden that produces eggplant like crazy and they simply can't cook as much as they grow.
Lucky for them I am happy to take whatever it is they can't use, but what about the rest of you? Have you recently become burdened with too many avocados and you are looking to pawn them off on anyone who crosses your path? Well, I have a great resource for you- as long as you live in Hawaii, that is.
Share the Harvest is a new group that has been organized for swapping your excess for something you can't grow or make yourself. Click this link to register and become a member- it is a free service where you can see what other people have that you might want, and you can post what overstock you have. I should be listing my bananas soon because we have 4 bunches starting all at the same time, and my freezer only holds so much.

The concept is based on a barter system. Once my bananas are ready to be harvested I will post them on Share the Harvest and see what other people are willing to trade for them. Trades on this site should only be products grown on the island, homemade items such as jellies or jams, or food providing plants like coconut or coffee starts. I think it is a great idea to help share your bounty! Check it out and please feel free to share your success stories with me- I'd love to hear about it!

Hope to see you trading!
Forever Seeking Aloha,
Britt

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © Seeking Aloha
Convert By NewBloggerTemplates Wordpress by WpThemesCreator