Thursday, August 4, 2011

Eating 100% local

It was a rainy morning in Hilo, and things were going slowly at the market. I did some of my own shopping instead of standing behind my table and I noticed that 80% of what I consume is farm fresh, local produce. But what about the other 20%? Why was I stopping short when it came to things like chicken, pork, beef and fish? Last week I purchased 4 Ahi fillets out of a man's trunk- they were the freshest fish I've had in a long time. So, why wasn't I purchasing fish from the fisherman on a regular basis? "Forget the fishmonger! Go straight to the fisherman!" I thought to myself. I brought this idea home to my husband- I want to eat completely local for 60 days to see if it is a feasible option for us and look at how accessible farm fresh produce is on the Big Island.  " Can you wait until you have a steady job?" my husband asked. But why does eating farm fresh have to be exclusive to a higher class of people? Everyone should have access to local  fresh produce including meat, poultry and fish.

Good Bye, Safeway
Despite what my husband thinks, I am going to set out on this journey.  Hopefully, I will have a few opportunities to work for food trade and meet a lot of inspiring people along the way.  We're going to finish up what's in the fridge now, but after that it is 100% local foods for this household. I already have great friends that are farmers so vegetables and fruits aren't a problem. Plus, my backyard supplies me with figs, oranges, lemons and herbs on a regular basis. Mostly, the worry is meat.  A quick fix for that would be to become a vegetarian but that just isn't going to happen. Chicken is a staple in the house and for that I've contacted Ohia Fields Farm.  Located in Honakaa, Ohia Fields Farm integrates their animals into the sustainability of their farm by using the manure and crop rotations. Their technique yields healthy veggies as well as happy healthy animals.

Fish is another go to item and I'm looking to Suisan  for just-off-the boat fillets. The Suisan building has a dock where boats frequently pull up to and unload the catch of the day. It is possible to purchase fish from fisherman down at the docks or at the market, however I've noticed that the fillets (or sometimes the entire fish) are very small which threatens the sustainability of our waters. Without the small fish, there will be no big fish. Besides, if I wanted a sheebee I'd go out and catch one myself. Suisan has an interesting history in Hilo much like that of HPM. Suisan was started by Japanese entrepreneurs, hit hard by 2 tsunamis and was virtually taken over by the US Navy during WWII. Many of the Japanese sugar cane workers turned to fishing as a profession instead of working the fields (mainly because they were given the lowest wages out of all the ethnic groups brought over to work) and they were given market price for their fish at Suisan. I like supporting local businesses that have a lot of history with the town.

Pork chops are on the menu about once a week. I am still trying to locate a small piggery on the island. We do not have a large freezer, nor do I really want one so I am not in the market for half or a whole pig. I just want some chops every now and again. If we still had the free standing butcher shop, instead of the meat counter at Safeway, I may be able to more easily locate some farm fresh pork. I may have to stop by George's Meat Market on Hoku to see what it is all about. From what I understand it is mostly frozen or marinated meats- the yelp reviews talk about the jerky as being heavenly- but maybe they can give me a local hook up for some chops!

Beef it's not usually what's for dinner.  I'll do burgers or a steak every once in a while but it isn't something I purchase regularly. This may change soon however, because the Big Island is a great place to raise cattle. There is an abundance of pasture land and with virtually no snow, steer can graze 24/7. Farmers on the Big Island seem to be behind the times in a good way when it comes to their cattle- not using hormones and allowing the cattle to graze uninhibited with frequent pasture rotation.  Grass fed beef has higher levels of Omega 3's, lower in fat, has more beta-carotene, and is loaded with Vitamin E. If you are going to eat beef it might as well be the healthy kind, right? Since I don't want to buy in bulk I am having difficulty finding the beef out side of the grocery store. Taste of Hawaiian Range has been a great resource for me and there is a list of stores that sell fresh Hawaiian beef. Maybe I can make an exception?

My mouth is watering right now! I've only touched on a few of the ways I am going to switch to buying completely local. Next blog will be dairy related with mouth watering goat cheese combinations and Big Island milk!

Forever Seeking Aloha,
Britt

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © Seeking Aloha
Convert By NewBloggerTemplates Wordpress by WpThemesCreator