Thursday, June 10, 2010

Rabbit Control

Yesterday, I went to my garden and much to my surprise I  found several bites taken out of low hanging pea pods. Last year our first line of defense was adding wire mesh on top of our existing fence and digging it 6 inches into the ground. We thought it was a sufficient barrier, but pesky rabbits seem to make it in no matter what. My assumption had also been that after our dog brutally murdered one unsuspecting Cotton tail, no others would dare enter the yard. Apparently, I was wrong. Because I try to keep my yard as organic as possible I'm on the hunt for some biodegradable eco-friendly pest control sprays that will make rabbits look elsewhere for dinner.

Liquid Fence


I've used liquid fence in our front yard when my Tulips were devoured and it worked well. The good people at Liquid Fence suggest that you apply once a week for two weeks and then once a month, unless you have a serious buffet going on. If rabbits (and deer) are chowing down at a rate only matched at Old Country Buffet on a Sunday, then spray once a week for three weeks and only once a month thereafter. If you try Liquid Fence you might want to wear something over your mouth and nose while spraying. It mentions on the label that while applying you may notice an odor, but I would worry more if you don't smell it. Just writing this has brought back smell memories that I'd like to forget. The odor is that of rotten eggs and oh, there's just like the faintest soupçon of garlic. Coincidentally, the main ingredients are egg solids and garlic so you may never enjoy the smell of garlic bread every again. It is environmentally friendly and biodegradable which is a definite plus. Liquid Fence is the closest thing to a home remedy on the market. I'd say that Liquid Fence keeps rabbits away but the smell also kept us indoors for the day. I'm not sure I want to put rotten eggs and garlic on my pea plants, though.

Hot Pepper Wax

I've heard a lot about Hot Pepper Wax but haven't tried it yet. You can use Hot Pepper Wax on edibles so it could do the trick with my peas. Hot Pepper Wax is just like what it sounds, it is a mixture of hot pepper extract and paraffin wax. It goes on as a spray and hardens to a thin layer of wax, that once bitten, packs the punch of a hundred hot peppers. Hot Pepper Wax is also effective on aphids, spider mites, and other soft bodied insects. I am seriously considering this wax for my peas. Per the lovely people at Hot Pepper Wax, you can harvest fruits and veggies same day, an ideal situation for a gardener like myself. The rain can't wash it off, it doesn't get absorbed into the goods, and it isn't going to make me retreat because of the odor. 
Now,  I know what you are thinking," But I eat the stuff right off the vine?!" and so do I. And although I enjoy a hot pepper now and again, I am not sure that I would enjoy Hot Pepper Wax as a condiment. I've scoured their website to find out how to get the wax OFF the fruits and veggies but have been unsuccessful. The wax is water resistant so my best guess would be adding soap to your washing. There is also a caution on the label that Hot Pepper Wax should not be used on Parsley and Basil.  My bottom line is, if I wanted to eat hot peppers with everything, I would, and on some occasions I do. So I might pick up some Hot Pepper Wax next time I see it at the Depot.


The internet is filled with DIY pest repellents, but I don't want to fill my house with gross smelling stuff that might not even work. Like, seriously how long would it take to make eggs rotten? by that time my whole lettuce patch would be gone! Lucky for me, the pests stay away pretty well with my raised bed, buried chicken wire, and my assassin dog. The two products above are tested and proven to be eco-friendly alternatives and made out of natural ingredients. I've personally used the liquid fence and found it to live up to the hype (though I am again having smell flashbacks). I'm seriously considering the Hot Pepper Wax for my peas and I could always use it for my roses, which will probably be the topic of my next blog (or rambling whichever way you look at it). 

Forever Seeking Aloha,
Britt


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © Seeking Aloha
Convert By NewBloggerTemplates Wordpress by WpThemesCreator