Thursday, June 3, 2010

How do I make my garden grow?

Gardening has become one of my favorite relaxing activities. I zen out when I search for ripened veggies or fruits, and I have been known to pirouette to my herbs in the middle of making dinner. But gardening doesn't come naturally to everyone. I frequently am asked, "How do I get this stupid stuff to GROW" to which my first thought is, "DON'T THINK OF IT AS STUPID!" But seriously, plants need three things- sun, water, soil. The balance of those three things is much like making a dirty martini-I take my martini's a little dry and very dirty, but everyone likes their martini differently.  Some plants like more sun, some plants like to be dry, and different types of soils are needed to grow specific types of plants. 
basil cut back time2.jpg
I'm tackling Noelle's question on how to grow Basil today. 
Basil can be grown indoors during the winter and outdoors in the summer in our Pennsylvania region. I have two sweet basil plants in 1/2 whiskey barrels in my garden that I planted on May 28th. You can purchase basil at your local garden store (sometimes even in the grocery store) or you can start from seeds. Pick a healthy looking plant, make sure there aren't broken stems and you want the leaves to look a nice pure shade of green. Stay away from plants that have flies or bugs all over them or that have yellowing/browning of the leaves. This is a good indication that the plant is sick. Also, smell the plant. Especially with basil, if the herb you are buying doesn't smell like itself, you might be purchasing a weak plant that doesn't have enough strength to survive a week in the sun. 

Where do you put it now?
Basil does best with 6-8 hours of sun. Mine get an entire day of direct sunlight. If you have more than one it is a good idea to plant them about 4 inches a part. They like a nutrient rich soil which is great if you have a compost pile or can get freshly churned compost rich soil at your local Organic Recycling center. That's right Organic Recycling Center. Check your local township for a yard waste dump. We have a few in our area that let residents cart away as much soil and mulch as they want. We've stocked our garden with Emmaus Township compost soil and it makes all the difference. If you don't have a place locally you could start your own compost pile or purchase soil at your local garden supply store. I also have a little trick to cutting down on transplant shock. That's when you buy a great healthy looking plant, you go home, plant it in your garden, and a few hours later it looks like it's knocking on heaven's door. I plant later in the day and I water right after. I also give my plants one day to adjust to the sun cycle in my yard because I get a lot of sun. Many plants are grown in greenhouses and get shocked when they are planted outdoors for good. Plus, you won't get a farmer's tan when you plant at sundown.

But it is so hot outside!
Yes, I know it gets hot in the sun. Basil should be watered once a day to keep the soil moist. Don't over water and try not to beat the plant with water. One of the hardest things is figuring out if you over water. A trick I've started is limiting my watering's to 15 minutes in the evening. I then scrape at the dirt and if it is wet 1/2 inch down I know it is just right. Don't be tempted to water until pools form at the base of the plant, or watering in the middle of the day. I also use grass clippings from cutting the grass all around the garden to lock in water. If all you have is a little pot of basil water once a day at night, but water until the soil is moist, not soggy.
If you just can't get the hang of it- don't worry someone has a solution for you. Watering globes takes the guesswork out of watering by distributing water only when your plants need it.
Blasphemy! you might exclaim. But really, do you want Basil or not?!

Get in my Belly!
Depending on the size of the basil plant you buy, you can start using your fresh basil leaves a few days after planting. I tend to buy smaller plants so I wait until there is new growth at the top so I know the plant can survive without the leaves I am about to pinch off. If you start your plants from seed you can wait until they are about 5 inches tall. But don't pinch off all the leaves. Remember that the leaves are needed by the plant too so only pinch off as much as you need. I take a few leaves from each plant instead of picking them all from one stem.  Avoid cutting the stem because once you go there it isn't coming back. Basil flowers are cute white flowers that form on spears at the top of the basil stem. This is also called "bolting" because the plant wants to create seeds. Bolting usually occurs later in the summer but can happen at any time there is a long heat spell. If you see basil  flowers forming cut just below the flowering portion. Also at this time you want to pinch off a few of the top leaves every day. This will cause the plant to want to use its energy to grow more leaves, not more flowers. 


Hope that helps!! 

1 comments:

Unknown said...

What a great guide on Basil. Thanks Brittany.

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © Seeking Aloha
Convert By NewBloggerTemplates Wordpress by WpThemesCreator