Friday, February 19, 2010

Live like you're in a canoe

http://www.messageinthewaves.com/

Last night I caught the end of a documentary called Message in the Waves. It highlighted the effects of plastic trash in our oceans, now I only saw the last ten minutes but boy do I wish I had seen the whole thing. I don't want to ruin it for you if you do watch it, but let's just say I can never look at my toothbrush the same way again.
For those of you who will not get to see the thought provoking documentary, here are some facts on plastic trash:
+In June 2006 United Nations Environmental Program report estimated that there are an average of 46,000 pieces of plastic debris floating on or near the surface of every square mile of ocean.


+About four-fifths of marine trash comes from land, swept by wind or washed by rain off highways and city streets, down streams and rivers, and out to sea. Nearly 90% of floating marine litter is plastic.


+In the marine environment plastic bag litter is lethal, killing at least 100,000 birds, whales, seals and turtles every year. After an animal is killed by plastic bags, its body decomposes and the plastic is released back into the environment where it can kill again.


I started crying when I saw the pictures of bird carcasses with golf balls and brightly colored plastic toys revealing themselves through feathers and rotting flesh. To think that fish we may be eating probably are contaminated with the plastic they ingest. 


Work is busy so I must cut this short.
Forever Seeking Aloha,
Britt

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © Seeking Aloha
Convert By NewBloggerTemplates Wordpress by WpThemesCreator